Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Dangers of Children and Animals by Alison Henderson

I've heard many actors refuse to work with children or animals because they're cuter and tend to upstage plain old ordinary adults. This could easily apply to books as well, so what do I do? I boldly step out on the tightrope and include both a precocious four-year-old and a monkey to my current manuscript!

This is not a groundbreaking technique. Many romance authors have featured babies and pets in their books for years, but it's new for me. The heroine in my first book was a widow with a newborn, but he was too young to play much of a part in the story. In Child's Play, the plot centers around threats to the hero's young niece, Grace, so she's front and center for a large part of the book. And then there's Balthazar. While most authors stick with dogs or cats, I decided to add a monkey--and he's not just any monkey.

 To give you an idea, here's the scene in which Casey, the bodyguard heroine, meets Balthazar:

“Oh, and I have to warn you…don’t leave any jewelry or valuables out in your room.”
She frowned. The university might not be located in the best part of town, but the up-to-date security system she’d noticed when she arrived should be sufficient to deter any garden-variety local thieves. “We’re on the second floor. You don’t have a problem with cat burglars, do you?”
Alec’s lips tightened. “Not cat. Monkey.”
She halted. “What?”
“Balthazar.”
“Who is Balthazar?”
He grimaced. “Follow me, and I’ll introduce you.”
He headed around the open center stairwell, past the bathroom and Grace’s room, to a smaller room that could once have been a nursery or servant’s quarters. In the center of the room stood a large kennel, the kind one might use to house a Great Dane—or a small polar bear. Standing on his hind legs and clasping the bars like a convict in a ’thirties prison movie was an angry-looking monkey in a diaper who shrieked the moment he spied Alec.
“Meet Balthazar.”
Casey took a couple of tentative steps, but froze when the monkey glared at her and shrieked again.
Alec walked closer to the cage. “You don’t have to be afraid. He needs a major attitude adjustment and will steal anything that’s not nailed down, but he won’t hurt you.”
Balthazar bared his teeth in a wicked parody of a grin.
Casey kept her distance. “What kind of monkey is he?”
“He’s a white-faced capuchin from Costa Rica. They’re exceptionally intelligent. I just wish this one could be persuaded to use his brainpower for good instead of evil.”
“It’s none of my business, but why keep him if he’s so much trouble?”
Balthazar coiled his tail around one of the bars like a snake and sent her a simian death stare.
“He’s only here for the term. He actually belongs to Tomas Huerta, a colleague of mine in the Anthropology Department. Tom adopted him after he was kicked out of a companion animal training course for being an anti-social little klepto. We agreed to monkey-sit this quarter while Tom’s away digging in Central America.”
“How does Grace feel about having a monkey in the house?” Casey knew how she felt.
“She’s the main reason he’s here. She’s crazy about him.” Alec gave a soft snort and shook his head. “Tom made sure to ask me when Grace was in the room. He knows how hard it is to say no to her.”
“Why would anyone want to say no to me?” a small voice interrupted.
They turned to see Grace standing in the doorway. She marched up to the kennel and stuck her fingers in to rub Balthazar’s furry cheek. The monkey nuzzled her hand then shot Alec a defiant so-there look.
Alec glanced at Casey with raised brows, as if to say See what I mean? then smiled at the back of his niece’s small, blond head. “I know it’s hard to believe, but on occasion, I do know more than you.”
      Grace turned her head and gave him a long-suffering eye-roll. “Oh, Uncle Alec, don’t be silly.”

So far, I'm managed to keep the child and the monkey from taking over, but I'm having lots of fun writing them both. Grace is adorable, and Balthazar is an incorrigible pain in the patoot, but ultimately, he saves the day. 

Alison 
www.alisonhenderson.com

15 comments:

Leah St. James said...

What a great excerpt, Alison! My first chuckle of the day...so thank you! I love the way you've written Balthazar, like this: "...Balthazar bared his teeth in a wicked parody of a grin...." Too funny! This is definitely going on my Kindle when it's published.

Angela Adams said...

Ironically, Alison, when I'm reading blurbs, I look for a book that includes children and/or animals. They do add a "cuteness" factor -- especially if you have an aloof or sullen hero. A sweet child can bring out a hero's desirable traits in a flash. Thanks for the post!

Diane Burton said...

Alison, this is going to be a great book. I'm not fond of monkeys and this one confirms my feelings--at least from the excerpt. Funny. Gracie seems to have Uncle wrapped around her baby finger. I love reading stories with children. I guess if the monkey saves the day, he'll be okay. ;) Can't wait to read this.

Jannine Gallant said...

Great scene, Alison! I put a dog in every single one of my books. At this point, I feel like it's my trademark, and I can't quit. Not only can animals steal the show, but you can also forget about them. More than once, I've realized I'd written three or four chapters, and the dog completely disappeared. Then I'm forced to go back and have someone walk it or feed it... LOL But animals do add a ton of personality to a book and tell the reader a lot about the main characters. As for kids, I've included quite a few, from toddlers to teens. I've received lots and lots and lots of reader comments on my teenage daughter of the heroine from Every Move She Makes, most about how she makes people who don't have them never want kids, or how mothers of teens can relate to my heroine's anxiety, etc. etc. Even a non-cute kid can add a relate-able element that stirs strong emotions in readers, and that's what we all want!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Geesh, must be somethin' going around. I put a donkey and a pig in the novel I'm working on. I have reasons (plot helpers) for doing so, but manipulating two barn animals in a story isn't easy. The manure, the feeding; issues with prey. At least you could put a diaper on your monkey and keep him in the house. Oh, the places we writers go to tweak a story!

Alicia Dean said...

Wow, I LOVE this excerpt. SO cute. :) And what a unique concept, a monkey. Elvis had a pet monkey, so you know I love the idea. :) Congrats on the upcoming release!

Alison Henderson said...

Leah, I'm glad Balthazar gave you a chuckle. I wanted to do something a little different in this book.

Alison Henderson said...

Angela, you're so right about heroes and children. My professor hero can seem a bit distracted or aloof at times, but he's butter in the hands of his niece!

Alison Henderson said...

Diane, I based Balthazar on the Ricky, the monkey from The Big Bang TV show, who is described as "kind of an ass." But I decided to let him redeem himself at the end.

Alison Henderson said...

Jannine, I love your kids and dogs. The teenage daughter was a wonderful reality check in Every Move She Makes. Finding the right balance is indeed difficult. I'm not having any problem keeping Grace where she needs to be, but I do find myself forgetting about Balthazar. Hopefully, I can pull it all together in the edits. LOL

Alison Henderson said...

Rolynn, I was truly relieved to discover during my research that capuchins routinely wear diapers if kept in the house!

Alison Henderson said...

Alicia, I didn't know Elvis had a pet monkey! Now, I feel even better about my choice.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Adorable! All of it! Gracie is nicely precocious. Balthazar is nicely evil. And you still managed to move your h/h forward, and bring them closer together. Great work!

Alison Henderson said...

Thanks, Margo. It's a fun little scene.

Brenda Whiteside said...

Loved the excerpt, Alison. I see all kinds of possibilities.