Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Some New Years Thoughts by Margo Hoornstra

Day six post op. Slowly, I’m starting to feel like myself again. The dread and fear are behind me. The inevitable pain is well controlled.

I have a blog post due.

These pages at Roses of Prose have taken on a political bent of late. Which is fine. How wonderful to live in a country where political dissent is the norm.

All well and good, if used wisely. If not, well, let me explain…

Yesterday I figuratively lost my favorite cousin and a cherished niece. Both are teachers, one still working, one retired. Another well-loved family member happens to be an administrator in a district where contract negotiations are going on, have been going on for quite some time. Believe me, it isn’t pretty. There are accusations and counter accusations flying around, many are half truths at best, quite a few others are down right lies. Most of it, unfortunately, playing out on FaceBook. The hurt feelings and despair are heartbreaking.

So, my fellow Roses, continue to champion your causes, protest as you will. Just remember there are others who might not totally agree with you or have the same agenda. Others who have their own ideas, desires and feelings too.

As my husband and I were contemplating the future, he suggested this. With open minds and willing hearts, just imagine what we can all accomplish.

My days to blog here are the 11th and 23rd. For more about me and my stories, please visit my website.

12 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Good points, Margo. Glad you're on the mend after your surgery. Being respectful of differences is so important.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

I'm so glad to hear you are slowly starting to feel like yourself again. Healing takes longer as we...ah...*cough*...gee, I hate to use the "age" word. One of the beauties of our group is that we're all different, yet all alike. And I hope we're respectful of both ends of our personalities.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Margo, my sympathies regarding the discord in your family. For 33 years I was enmeshed in the the world of education, where conflict reigned (admin vs teacher, parent vs teacher, teacher vs student, student vs student.) When I learned that not all American adults believe children should have an equal chance to learn, I became the fighter I am today. I know how painful these discussions can get, but by having them, we ARE improving as a society. Little by little. Your husband is right...we can do this!

Happy to hear you're feeling better, Margo.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Exactly, Diane. We are all in this together.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Feel free to use the 'A' word, Vonnie. I'm used to it **wink, wink** You're exactly right. I for one cherish the differences and similarities of this group.

Margo Hoornstra said...

So it's not just our family, right, Rolynn? Good to know. Hard as it is, always better to have discord out in the open, rather than seething beneath the surface.

Andrea Downing said...

Margo, I wish you a speedy recovery and far less pain. You made some great points, thank you.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Appreciate that, Andi. Thank you so much.

Leah St. James said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Margo. I always tend to expect to feel better than I actually do after a procedure.

Anyway, yes, I agree completely that it's so important that we all respect each others' opinion, and each others rights to opinions. It's especially important, I think, with those we love. Facebook and other social media channels have become so contentious (and that's the best word I can think of). I've been spending less and less time online, which is probably a good thing.

Here's hoping we can all listen to each other with the open minds and hearts you mentioned.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Hear, hear, Leah. I think we can. No. I'm SURE we can.

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm sorry about the relatives. I read an interesting article about why politics is such a touchy subject. The author said it's because, like race and religion, many people feel they're defined by their political beliefs. And that's why no amount of arguing or reason will every change people's minds on the subject. They'd have to give up part of who they are. An interesting concept.

Alicia Dean said...

Hi Margo, wow, so sorry I haven't checked on you lately. I'm still trying to play catch up and I'll never win, so, why do I try? :) I'm so glad you're healing nicely from your surgery, and I hope you are even better by now. I agree with what you're saying. I am amazed at how political EVERYTHING has become lately. I think we should all respect one another's opinions, but that doesn't always happen. Sometimes, people are treated differently because of their political views and called names and shunned and looked down upon, while others seem to think they are to be admired and celebrated just because of which side they are on. SO many who preach tolerance do not practice it. I would never cast aside a friend or family member because of their beliefs, but I know such happenings have been rampant lately. Such a shame. Hugs...take care of yourself!