Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day - 2016 by Diane Burton

Sometimes we take federal holidays for granted or only think about how great it is to have a day off work. We forget the reason behind designating a particular day a holiday. Memorial Day's origin goes back to 1868. The purpose was for the nation to decorate the graves of those soldiers who died in the Civil War. Since, it’s expanded to include all service people who died defending us.

This picture, originally posted on Facebook, really touched me. It’s a vivid reminder of the families who have suffered a loss that only those who have suffered a similar loss can fully understand. I haven’t, but my heart hurts for those who have. Spouses, parents, children of our fallen heroes gave a sacrifice as great as the soldier who died. Maybe greater. They live with the heartache every day while the soldier has gone to his/her reward.

My dad and his brothers fought in WWII, one of my grandfathers in WWI, a great-great grandfather in the Civil War, and a multi-great grandfather in the Revolutionary War. An uncle and a good friend were police officers. Their service ensured that we are still a country of freedoms. Freedoms we often take for granted, forgetting that many people in this world don't have them.

Post-apocalyptic movies and books show us what happens when society breaks down. Law and order is gone. Chaos reigns. Those with the power and weapons rule. Might makes right. Heaven help the rest. While I love movies and books, those that show the disintegration of civilization make me so uncomfortable I can’t watch or read them. The reality is too horrifying to contemplate.

While we enjoy our three-day weekend, have our picnics, kick off the beginning of summer, maybe we can take a moment and thank those who died protecting our freedoms.

Diane Burton writes romantic suspense, mysteries, and science fiction romance. She blogs here on the 30th of the month, on Paranormal Romantics on the 13th, and on her own blog on Mondays.


16 comments:

Margo Hoornstra said...

So true, Diane. Freedom is not free. Many in my family served too. A huge sacrifice we can never forget.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Margo.

Susan Coryell said...

Thanks for a thoughtful blog. Our freedom rests with these fallen vets. May we always remember their sacrifice.

Leah St. James said...

Like Margo said, so true. Many in my and my husband's families have served. We have been fortunate that none died in combat, but I have known families who have suffered that loss, and it's a heartbreak that never goes away. Thank you for your reminder of their sacrifices.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Hear, Hear! I am here and who I am because my Dad returned from WWII (Guadacanal) wounded, but determined to bring light back in the world after a horrible war. Five kids, a fine career as an Army Officer and the GI bill...the baby boom exploded...evidence of hope and freedom. Lucky, we are!

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Amen, Diane.

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Amen, Diane.

Vonnie Davis, Author said...

Very well spoken, Diane. A lovely post.

Jannine Gallant said...

Lovely tribute, Diane.

Andrea Downing said...

Thanks so much for reminding us, Diane, and for sharing your own family's story.
Andrea
http://andreadowning.com

Diane Burton said...

So true, Susan.

Leah, I can't imagine the heartbreak of those who lost a spouse, son/daughter, father/mother in service.

Rolynn, I'm with you.

Mack, Vonnie, Jannine, & Andrea, thanks for stopping by.

Alicia Dean said...

What a beautiful and fitting post. Thank you for reminding us to appreciate the true meaning of Memorial Day. My dad was in WWII as well, and I've known many who have served. Their sacrifice is beyond measure. That photo made me cry.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I come from a long line of service men and women. No one I knew was lost at war, other than the husband of an acquaintance who had the ill luck to be sick and in his barracks on a day where insurgents shot a missile into them. He was the only casualty. It was stunning news when it came in. I'm grateful to everything our soldiers do and have done for us. I'm grateful my loved ones have made it back. And I'm grateful to those who have given their lives for us to keep our freedoms. That includes police officers, who fight a war on their own turf every day, and sometimes lose their lives because of it.

Diane Burton said...

That photo is so poignant, Alicia. It choked me up, too.

Shannon, ditto. I'm so glad Memorial Day includes police who died in service. They truly are the first line of defense for our freedom. How sad about the soldier who died. That had to be stunning, esp for those who knew him.

Barbara Edwards said...

Freedom is never free. My uncles fought in WW !!, my cousins in Vietnam. I know they paid the price. Thanks God for people willing to fight for our freedoms.

Diane Burton said...

So true, Barb.