Thursday, May 21, 2015

Did I forget my dreams?by Barbara Edwards #sale$.99

Did I forget my dreams?
This might sound a little confused but I’m talking about how I feel, a complicated subject.
I wanted to be a published author. I worked hard and found a publisher or two who like my work. Annie’s Heart and Another Love are historical romances with WingsEpress. Ancient Awakening, Ancient Blood and Ancient Curse are all part of the paranormal romance Rhodes End series from The Wild Rose Press. Then there are my fun short Christmas novellas written to make me smile: Journey of the Magi, (an Amazon Bestseller), Late for the Wedding, and the soon to be released Dixie’s Gift. I include buy links below.
I’ve been working hard and have three mss in process. 
My writing has improved, but I miss my old critique group. With all the traveling we do I couldn’t bring myself to commit to weekly meetings. 
I tried on-line several times and it didn’t work for me. So I put off looking for a new critique partner until I realized I need the clear eyes of another writer. An editor doesn’t have time to do the picky stuff. If its not ready, bring it back when it is.
Despite my fears, I took a side trip into hunting the perfect partner. Not so easy to do. I posted on the RWA loop. The first person wasn’t a match, but she asked me why I’m not New York published. I winced. That was a dream, along with being a bestseller.
I forgot my dreams. Life got complicated. I had publishers I love. Why bother?
Why? Because I need to be the best I can. So over the last week I’ve traded chapters with others in the same hunt. It’s funny to feel like I’ll be judged and found wanting in my critiquing skills. Or that work good enough for my editor isn’t prime.
I hope the new effort pays off. I like the feedback so far.
It made me upset. It made me growl. I loved the compliments and preened like a peacock. then I had to really read the suggestions. I was opposed to making some of them. I know my story. then I understood that I had to add clarity, description, background and make a few switches. Whew.
So what does this have to do with my forsaken dreams? I’m going to the Romance Writers of America Conference in New York in July. This year I made an appointment with an editor and an agent. I plan to have two manuscripts ready to send. Something new, something I love.
I’m grabbing for the gold ring because life has taught me that you can’t give up.

Ancient Awakening 
by Barbara Edwards is on sale $.99 until Friday
Link: http://amzn.com/B002TG4NFG
Police Officer 'Mel' Petersen is the only one who believes a suspicious death is murder. By disobeying direct orders from the Rhodes End Chief, she risks her career to follow clues that twist in circles to her backyard and lead the killer to her. Her neighbor Stephan Zoriak is a prime suspect. While working for a major pharmaceutical company, he is exposed to a dangerous organism that changed him. He suspects he is the killer and agrees to help Mel find the truth when the deaths continue. In the course of their investigation Mel and Steve find more death and continued distrust that make them wonder if love can defy death.


Please visit, friend or follow me.
Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/BarbaraEdwards. Author
Twitter  https://www.twitter.com/Barb_ed
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A

Other buy links

Journey of the Magi : http://amzn.com/B00ES5DZEQ

Late for the Wedding: http://amzn.com/B00OWLKDY6






5 comments:

Leah St. James said...

Good luck in this latest phase of your writing/publishing journey, Barbara. I hope the new critique partners work out, and that you wow 'em in NYC. :-)

Barbara Edwards said...

Big Dreams. Only the result of hard work, not luck.

Jannine Gallant said...

Wishing you the best. It's easier to settle sometimes, but more rewarding to strive for our dreams.

Diane Burton said...

Best wishes, Barb. Hang onto those dreams. It's what keeps us going.

Margo Hoornstra said...

You've inspired me now, Barb. Like you, I've 'settled' the past few years. Got comfortable. Time to jump up and grab for the gold for me too. Though NYC isn't in my future. Best of luck as you make it yours.