Sunday, May 27, 2012

Honoring Those Who Have Gone Before Us

--By Vonnie Davis
Last weekend Calvin and I went to an Indian Powwow (Monacan Indians, Amherst, Virginia). Both of his grandmothers were members of this tribe. There we viewed Native American tribal dances and examined hand-made crafts that were for sale. On one vender’s table I found a stack of papers on each of which someone had printed a poem.

I was struck by its beauty, both in imagery and thought. I had never heard of the poem, but after Googling it, I found it has been around for decades, a favorite for eulogies. I think it a powerful, comforting piece. 

Don’t stand at my grave and weep
For I’m not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,


I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush


Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.


 
AS YOU CELEBRATE MEMORIAL DAY, REMEMBER
OUR FREEDOM DID NOT COME CHEAPLY.


REMEMBER OUR FALLEN MILITARY PERSONNEL.
(To my grandson serving in Afghanistan: Stay safe, Joshua)

6 comments:

Laura Breck said...

I love that poem, Vonnie. Thanks for sharing. And send Joshua my thanks for serving.

Barbara Edwards said...

Lovely Poem. I have it framed in my office. And thank you to all those who serve and save our freedom for us.
Nate and Tori, my grandchildren, are on duty this day.
Barbara

Jannine Gallant said...

I've never heard that poem, either, but I LOVE it. Terrific post, Vonnie.

Colleen Connally said...

Vonnie,
I'll say a prayer for your grandson. Touching post. Love the poem. It is a day to remember the price paid for our freedom.

LaVerne Clark said...

Like your Memorial Day, we celebrate and remember the brave men on Anzac Day in this part of the world. Even though most of the soldiers have passed on now, the day has only become bigger, as noted in the Morning Parade. It is so touching to see young children standing in silence with their parents and grandparents to honour our fallen men, their very innocence shining on their faces. Without those brave men, our lives would be a lot bleaker.

Thinking of all my friends in America and elsewhere who have loved ones in the services to keep us all safe.

Kellie Kamryn said...

Beautiful - thank you for sharing this with us, Vonnie!